Fluoride is added to tap water and toothpaste to prevent tooth decay.
However avoiding sugary sweets and regular brushing and flossing top the list of steps to take to avoid tooth decay.
Extracts taken from recent article in Sydney Morning Herald 25/02/2015:
Studies linking fluoride in water to health issues prompt Australian review
“The only potential harm associated with water fluoridation is dental fluorosis [mottles or flecks on the teeth], and this can be minimised by the careful regulation of the concentration of fluoride in fluoridated water at levels aimed to prevent tooth decay, ” the spokesperson said.
On Tuesday, British researchers called for health authorities to reconsider its water fluoridation program after a new study linked fluoride to higher rates of hypothyroidism – low thyroid function that slows the metabolism down and can cause fatigue, weight gain and depression.
The observational study published in the Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health (a specialist journal published by the British Medical Journal group) reported that GP clinics in areas with fluoridated water were nearly twice as likely to report high rates of hypothyroidism compared with clinics in areas without water fluoridation.”
[The following extract is taken from Fluroide Toxity Article 09/02/2016 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoride_toxicity]
“Although safe and even healthy at low concentrations, sustained consumption of large amounts of soluble fluoride salts is dangerous. Referring to a common salt of fluoride, sodium fluoride (NaF), the lethal dose for most adult humans is estimated at 5 to 10 g (which is equivalent to 32 to 64 mg/kg elemental fluoride/kg body weight). Ingestion of fluoride can produce gastrointestinal discomfort at doses at least 15 to 20 times lower (0.2–0.3 mg/kg or 100 to 150 mg for a 50 kg person) than lethal doses. Although helpful for dental health in low dosage, chronic exposure to fluoride in large amounts interferes with bone formation. In this way, the most widespread examples of fluoride poisoning arise from consumption of ground water that is abnormally fluoride-rich.”
Check your toothpaste labeling, often its on the box that gets thrown out after the tube is removed. As noted above the toothpaste is considered a poison when more than the recommended amount is ingested or swallowed. If you have concerns about small children, pets or other family members including yourself you may want to consider an Alternative Toothpaste: